The MPS Group Championships is a top women’s professional tennis tournament, part of the worldwide Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Celebrating its 31st Anniversary in 2010, the tournament returns to Northeast Florida at Sawgrass Country Club in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, April 5 – 11.
Each year the tournament features many of the top players and the up-and-coming stars in the game and is one of the most anticipated stops on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour for both players and fans. 2010 promises to be no exception. Playing on green clay, the singles competition includes 32 main draw and 32 qualifying players with a 16 team main draw doubles competition vying for $220,000 in prize money.
The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour is the world’s leading professional sport for women with over 2,200 players representing 96 nations competing for over $86 million in prize money at the Tour’s 53 events and four Grand Slams in 33 countries. More than 4.8 million people attended women’s tennis events in 2008 with millions more watching events on television networks around the world. The MPS Group Championships is the third oldest U.S. event on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour calendar.
Order tickets today by calling (8OO) 486-8366 and join in the excitement and tradition as the tournament celebrates its 31st anniversary!
Visit the tournament website: http://www.mpsgroupchamps.net
Monday April 5
- Opening of Main Draw Play. The tournament grounds become alive with singles and doubles professional tennis action on all three match courts.
- The Florida Times-Union Day. Stop by the Florida Times-Union booth and receive a specialty designed Autograph Card to enjoy throughout the week when capturing your favorite player autographs.
Tuesday April 6
- USTA Member Appreciation Day. USTA members receive $5 off any day or night session Grandstand ticket on Monday, April 5 and Tuesday, April 6. An on-court QuickStart Tennis demonstration will be held between the 1st and 2nd match of the day, followed by an opportunity for kids and parents to try out this new format of play for themselves. With the purchase of a tournament ticket, USTA members are invited to stop by the USTA Hospitality Event from 3:30-4:30p.m. in the TopSpin Tavern for complimentary refreshments, an autograph signing, gifts and more!
Wednesday April 7
- Claude Nolan Cadillac Day.
- MGD 64 Pre-Match Party. A tournament favorite! All tennis fans of legal drinking age are invited to enjoy free samples of MGD 64. Stop by The TopSpin Tavern from 6:00-7:00pm and enjoy the Happy Hour brought to you by MGD 64, the 64 calorie beer from Miller with only 2.4 Carbs. It’s as Light as it gets!
Thursday April 8
- Tail Activewear Thursday. Fans will enjoy a day filled with merchandise discounts, Stadium Court giveaways and raffle drawings all complements of Tail Activewear. To download a coupon for use on Thursday, please click here
Friday April 9
- NFPTA Pro Challenge. The much anticipated event featuring local tennis pros competing in a round robin format. Join in the fun and cheer on your favorite local pro. Action takes place from 11:00am – 5:00pm on Courts 1 & 2.
- Bombay Sapphire Ace Party. The makers of Bombay Sapphire Gin are serving up an ace – the Sapphire Ace! All tennis fans of legal drinking age are invited to enjoy this free specialty drink designed for tennis fans from 6:00-7:00pm in the TopSpin Tavern.
- ATP Legends Exhibition.
Saturday April 10
- Semifinal Match-Ups begin at 12:00pm on Stadium Court.
- The Tennis Channel will air both singles semifinal matches live from 12:00-4:00pm.
Sunday April 11
- Finals: The MPS Group Championships Finals begin at 2:00pm on Stadium Court. Witness the players who have battled their way throughout the tournament week to gain the ultimate spot in the highly anticipated doubles and singles finals!
- The Tennis Channel will air the singles final live from 2:00-4:00pm.